Everquest or Everquest2?

Spec8472
Weavespinner

Re: Everquest or Everquest2?

Post by Spec8472 »

storyreader2005 wrote:I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the MMO that you only have to buy once, Guild Wars.

I don't play that often so "no monthly fee" is just about the only plus that counts to me.
GW, when it first came out promised to be a good idea for the no monthly fee.. but, well, it isn't an MMO. It's just a network-only 8way multiplayer with common trading areas.

I played a bit of the LOTRO beta, and the experience of actually having all sorts of people around is entirely different.

I was a Planetside'er for a while too - it's a real pity that they just couldn't keep the numbers up.

I had some really great moments in Planetside - having 8 other folks all on Teamspeak, being well coordinated and doing raids with maybe 50 other folks and going up against another equal force is fantastic.
The problem was that there were these amazingly vast areas of... nothing.
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Spec8472 wrote:
storyreader2005 wrote:I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the MMO that you only have to buy once, Guild Wars.

I don't play that often so "no monthly fee" is just about the only plus that counts to me.
GW, when it first came out promised to be a good idea for the no monthly fee.. but, well, it isn't an MMO. It's just a network-only 8way multiplayer with common trading areas.

I played a bit of the LOTRO beta, and the experience of actually having all sorts of people around is entirely different.

I was a Planetside'er for a while too - it's a real pity that they just couldn't keep the numbers up.

I had some really great moments in Planetside - having 8 other folks all on Teamspeak, being well coordinated and doing raids with maybe 50 other folks and going up against another equal force is fantastic.
Yeah, I loved planetside also... but it wasn't meant to be unfortunately. Come to the light spec! Join us on LOTRO!!! :wink:
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

michaelsuave wrote:Come to the light spec! Join us on LOTRO!!! :wink:
Heh, friend is trying to get me into LOTRO...
thing is, I don't want to invest a huge amount of time into playing a game to stay up on top of things.

I've been having fun playing Star Craft (yeah, the original) on BattleNET with some friends... but for LOTRO I'd have to invest time regularly to keep my character up to whatever level my friends are at.

Trying to convince someone to come play down at a lower level isn't fun.

"Oh, you're off raiding {Level 60 area} Oh... okay. *plods along at level 15*"

I was kinda attracted to GW by the pre-rolled chars, but, meh, they were useless.
dadrago
Novice

Post by dadrago »

guess i'll go ahead and put my 2c in. :)

i've only played eq1. started out playing eq1 just before ldon came out. had to quit for various reasons, came back still had my lvl 36 druid :( on tholux paels :( lost 4 below lvl 30 char's :( ... restarted on a different server. cause none of my old friends were on and previous guild disbanded me.

so new server starting fresh. built my main up first. in a little over 2 months of playing got my ranger from lvl 1 to lvl 50. then lvl'ing kinda slowed down stopped playing cause i lost a job, gotta find a new one. my ranger hit lvl 63 after about 8 months of playing. with 53 AA points. did a lotta solo-ing and very small groups during my 50's ... for some reason couldn't really get very good xp groups imo .. when i quit playing cause i lost my job. there was only 15 or so players higher than my lvl in my guild ... i checked a few days ago on the guild roster, and my guild has grown tremendously. from just over 100 char's to now over 300 ... needless to say there's like 30 or more higher than 63. lol ...

probably won't be able to re-join until i get some steady employment. my last job lasted a week. (for some reason i wasn't 'fast' enough with cooking the chicken) (last job was a cook at a chicken 'fast-food' restaurant.)

laterz,
drago

ps -- if i do get back on eq1, i'm on prexus server and my main is hodradrago ... if u sound it out 'who - da (or the) - drago' .. or atleast what i was going for.
name of main is hodradrago udadrago ... get it lol.
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Spec8472 wrote:
michaelsuave wrote:Come to the light spec! Join us on LOTRO!!! :wink:
Heh, friend is trying to get me into LOTRO...
thing is, I don't want to invest a huge amount of time into playing a game to stay up on top of things.

I've been having fun playing Star Craft (yeah, the original) on BattleNET with some friends... but for LOTRO I'd have to invest time regularly to keep my character up to whatever level my friends are at.

Trying to convince someone to come play down at a lower level isn't fun.

"Oh, you're off raiding {Level 60 area} Oh... okay. *plods along at level 15*"

I was kinda attracted to GW by the pre-rolled chars, but, meh, they were useless.
Spec, spec, what are you thinking... you just have to get in with the right group of people who are friendly and helpful enough to play with you no matter where you are at. If you come join us on silverlode then I will see if I can get you an invite to mac's merry men, everybody on there is always willing to lend a hand, craft you an item for free, or just hand out good drops or recipies for your character, no matter what lvl their main character is. Join us, I know that I would love to play alongside you or any of the other people on this website. Just look me up if you get ingame, the main char's name is "blorgrim".
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Blyker
Sorcerer

Post by Blyker »

Spec8472 wrote:I was a Planetside'er for a while too - it's a real pity that they just couldn't keep the numbers up.

Aye, we didnt use teamspeak at first but i made a tactic where each of us in the guild was required to be an advanced medic. We took towers and enemy bases/generators and defended them against overwhelming numbers. I can still remember the feeling of us holding an important tower in a big 3 way battle for almost 3 hours with me anchored in my max pounder and guildmates running ammo, medic and engeneering refills in to keep us up and alive. The sheer and utter hate that other empires had of the MOX guild. When i played in another empire that people were saying in world wide anouncement dont go to ..... because MOX is there oh the memories are so sweet :!:
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

michaelsuave wrote: Spec, spec, what are you thinking... you just have to get in with the right group of people who are friendly and helpful enough to play with you no matter where you are at.
I have friends who will do that - but it always feels like you're dragging them back to play with you in some more basic area.

Anyway, I'll get myself a 10 day free trial and have a whack at that. Not sure what server I'll be on though - I'm in .au so US-East and Europe servers are no good for me - 400-700ms ping is a bugger.
montie1123
Sorcerer

Post by montie1123 »

I just picked up the LOTR online, the free trials just dont give me enough time to deside if i like a game or not. Just need to deside what server i want to play on and then make my first char hehe.
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Blyker wrote:
Spec8472 wrote:I was a Planetside'er for a while too - it's a real pity that they just couldn't keep the numbers up.

Aye, we didnt use teamspeak at first but i made a tactic where each of us in the guild was required to be an advanced medic. We took towers and enemy bases/generators and defended them against overwhelming numbers. I can still remember the feeling of us holding an important tower in a big 3 way battle for almost 3 hours with me anchored in my max pounder and guildmates running ammo, medic and engeneering refills in to keep us up and alive. The sheer and utter hate that other empires had of the MOX guild. When i played in another empire that people were saying in world wide anouncement dont go to ..... because MOX is there oh the memories are so sweet :!:
I remember you guys, my guild wasn't very active, and my computer would always overheat so I wasn't on much, but I used to try and figure out where you guys were, because that is where the battle would be. :D

Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

hehehe, for those who play EQ, I had quite a week.

First, hell froze over. After 2 years of being Time flagged, Binter FINALLY got his @$#@# Time's Antithesis.

If you play EQ and raid, you probably know what this is, and know why it's such a big deal. It clicks Turgur's Insects, the staple slow shaman use against raid mobs, trash mobs, any mob that doesn't have insane magic resist. I've always been known on my server and in shaman serverwide chat as the most well-known shaman without a TA, because any Time raid I went on, no matter what guild or pickup, guaranteed a TA wouldn't even drop. Well, NO MORE!!!!! ;)

Seriously. After I got it, I went back and counted it up, and by my reckoning, it was approximately 45 Saryrn kills without a single TA drop. That's not just bad luck, that's someone out to get me. ;)

I also finished his FD ring. That's been on the list of "bloody freaking hard quests I need to do because it's worth it" for a long time.

So, now that I've done a lot of plate-clearing, I'll be getting to work editing Tower next week...but I'll be doing it in a leisurely manner, so don't expect all 20 chapters released all at once. ;)
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
nightwing1978
Initiate

Post by nightwing1978 »

wish i could play eq right now seems i am having technical difficulties that give me a device reset failure everytime i try that shuts down and boots me from the game
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Fel wrote:hehehe, for those who play EQ, I had quite a week.

First, hell froze over. After 2 years of being Time flagged, Binter FINALLY got his @$#@# Time's Antithesis.

If you play EQ and raid, you probably know what this is, and know why it's such a big deal. It clicks Turgur's Insects, the staple slow shaman use against raid mobs, trash mobs, any mob that doesn't have insane magic resist. I've always been known on my server and in shaman serverwide chat as the most well-known shaman without a TA, because any Time raid I went on, no matter what guild or pickup, guaranteed a TA wouldn't even drop. Well, NO MORE!!!!! ;)

Seriously. After I got it, I went back and counted it up, and by my reckoning, it was approximately 45 Saryrn kills without a single TA drop. That's not just bad luck, that's someone out to get me. ;)

I also finished his FD ring. That's been on the list of "bloody freaking hard quests I need to do because it's worth it" for a long time.

So, now that I've done a lot of plate-clearing, I'll be getting to work editing Tower next week...but I'll be doing it in a leisurely manner, so don't expect all 20 chapters released all at once. ;)
Congrats man. I still want my necro's Ossein. :'( I go on the weekly raids and never see it. Bleh
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Starstryker
Sorcerer

Post by Starstryker »

Heh, just started up an old toon I had from a demo in Eq2, is a fun game. btw, I like the new forum layout, very nice.

Starstryker
"Do Not Meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are Crunchy and taste good with Ketchup"

"Don't take life too seriously, nobody gets out of it alive anyway"

Bumper stickers to live by ^
Halcyon
Katzh-dashi

Post by Halcyon »

I can see many of you are really hardcore MMORPG players. I was never one of them due to my dial-up and slow computer. I've seen a lot of info about several games that look worthwhile, but I thought I'd ask some of you guys who actually play them. I hear LOTRO is fun, but not not is fun as it could be due to a lack of players. Is this true? Also, I heard the Star Wars MMORPG was okay in the beginning, but not so much anymore. Is this true? I enjoy playing the regular RPG of this game so I thought I'd inquire about it. Thanks guys!
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
Charles M. Schulz
Wicketklown001
Sorcerer

Post by Wicketklown001 »

I didn't play the original version of swg so I can't really comment on it. The majority of people (even the ones that still play it) say that the devs ruined it after the NGE (think that stands for new game edition or something) update. I didn't think it was all that bad but perhaps that's because I didn't have any preconceived notions about it from before the updates. To me it played more like a single player game than a MMO (somewhat like a FPS with crafting thrown in). There is a fairly modest playerbase though so the game must still have some appeal. There are personal vehicles for travel but I think they would have been more fun if they could allow weapons to be mounted on them. They did have space combat which was cool but I sucked at it so I didn't do as much with that. All in all if I had to rate the game on a 5 point scale I'd give it a 2.5 .... it's somewhat interesting since it's one of the few mmorpgs not set in medieval/fantasy setting, but overall nothing special.