Inception, Chapter 5 [Spoilers]

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
expedient
Mi'Shara

Re: Inception, Chapter 5 [Spoilers]

Post by expedient »

kyli wrote:If this is the case, then all it would take to create a hyperspace mind filter is some kind of software program since all the necessary hardware required to remove the effects of multidimensional space from the brain is already part of the Jack.
This is a good idea. I was thinking a while ago that the Parri or some kind of telepathic technique might be able to solve the hyperspace synaesthesia issue but your idea is much more feasible and inclusive of the non-telepathics.
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I just had the coolest idea, I remember that there is a machine that is like a super nose able to detect the smallest amount of particles in the air, a sort of artificial super nose.
Using the jack, can it allow a person to expand and experience greatly enhanced senses. They could view every part of the EM spectrum not just visable light, they could have such a powerful sense of smell that they could track them over great distances, their hearing would allow them to create a pseudo echolocation ability.
Their taste senses augemented by tech could be used as a form of analysis of the sample. Is it possible to see in every 360 degree angle?
Lots of aliens and creatures have different perceptions and sense, so this system would allow you to experience it, so the bridge between people is shortened.
.S.A.M.K.M
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

kyli wrote:If a Jack can directly feed sound (and I assume the other senses as well) into a Kizzik’s brain, then it should be entirely possible to create a hyperspace filter to clear the effects caused by the three dimensional brain trying to interpret multiple dimensions.
A cookie for you. You'll see this happen in chapter 7.

The technique is to have the jack override natural sensory input and only allow sensory data from machines, which don't suffer sensory distortion in hyperspace. So, a jacked person in hyperspace will "see and hear" through their interface's camera and sensors, but won't be capable of smell, taste, or touch unless they have special hardware for it.

It's not a 100% fix, however. They'll find out that without natural senses, simple things like holding one's balance are very tricky in hyperspace. They'll still be in jump restraints, they just won't be dealing with hyperspace sensory distortion and the jump shock that it can cause.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
TLGG
Katzh-dashi

Post by TLGG »

Will it work for the Generations too? And if it does, Why Didn't They Do That Before?
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

TLGG wrote:Will it work for the Generations too? And if it does, Why Didn't They Do That Before?
Jason has shown the ability to not only submerge into a biogenic commune but also to built an entirely artificial environment within that space. So this may be the equivalent solution. As to why they didn't do this in the past; for one, just because something seems obvious in hindsight it doesn't mean that it is an easy intuitive leap and two, the original Generations were not under the pressure of war nor would they have been able to protect the non-Generation crew members [assuming this is viable].
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Fel wrote:
kyli wrote:If a Jack can directly feed sound (and I assume the other senses as well) into a Kizzik’s brain, then it should be entirely possible to create a hyperspace filter to clear the effects caused by the three dimensional brain trying to interpret multiple dimensions.

The technique is to have the jack override natural sensory input and only allow sensory data from machines, which don't suffer sensory distortion in hyperspace. So, a jacked person in hyperspace will "see and hear" through their interface's camera and sensors, but won't be capable of smell, taste, or touch unless they have special hardware for it.

It's not a 100% fix, however. They'll find out that without natural senses, simple things like holding one's balance are very tricky in hyperspace. They'll still be in jump restraints, they just won't be dealing with hyperspace sensory distortion and the jump shock that it can cause.
Can't wait for Chapter 7 now. I've been waiting for this for a couple books now. I'm so glad that they finally manage to find a solution, even if it isn't 100%. And thanks for the preview, Fel.
I seem to recall Jason saying in Chapter 1 of book 3 that he will give his hair to the person who gets rid of the effects of hyperspace. An part of me hopes that one of his guards or someone remembers him saying that. :lol:
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
ramouton
Sorcerer

Post by ramouton »

Sounds great, I can hardly wait for chapters six and seven myself. Just a thought, it was indicated that kimdori are able to pick up objects in real space from within hyperspace, it thus should be possible to do the reverse especially with the jack based mind filter ie, keep a karrine missile platform in hyperspace within the interdiction effect and launch missiles into benga or consortium targets in real space where the interdiction effect would prevent weapons being launched back into hyperspace to attack back. It might also be interesting to see if zaa would agree to assist in modifying the interdictor to allow the interdictors to be placed within hyperspace. You can't hit what you cannot reach.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

kyli wrote:
Fel wrote:

Can't wait for Chapter 7 now. I've been waiting for this for a couple books now. I'm so glad that they finally manage to find a solution, even if it isn't 100%. And thanks for the preview, Fel.
I seem to recall Jason saying in Chapter 1 of book 3 that he will give his hair to the person who gets rid of the effects of hyperspace. An part of me hopes that one of his guards or someone remembers him saying that. :lol:
Welllllllllllllllllll....................

It won't work for a Generation.

Merging won't allow a Generation's own brain to "turn off" its own internal sensory input. Jason can ignore his own senses when in a merge, at least up to where those senses become so powerful that they bleed through the merge and intrude themselves. The sensory distortion in hyperspace is definitely strong enough to intrude into a merge. Once they write the software for it, the Jacks will be able to completely override the owner's own senses in certain conditions and if the owner wants it to, blocking sensory ghosts while in hyperspace. Because of the potential danger this can create with people "tuning out" to the point they ignore everything around them and pose a potential danger to themselves (wandering around a busy city street while ignoring their own senses), there will be some conditions and limits set on it.

In this case, a jack is actually better than a Generation.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
ramouton
Sorcerer

Post by ramouton »

wont the generations of the house be getting jacks as well, and as such cant the generations simply remove their gestalts prior to jump and merge via their jacks instead?