Just thinking

Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Re: Just thinking

Post by Metatrone »

Fiferguy wrote: You are expressing a very typical American idealism. We want more. We want it faster. And if we don't get it, it obviously sucks... :wink:
Haha basic rules of marketing. :lol:
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Metatrone wrote:
Fiferguy wrote: You are expressing a very typical American idealism. We want more. We want it faster. And if we don't get it, it obviously sucks... :wink:
Haha basic rules of marketing. :lol:
Notice that I didn't say it was a good thing... :twisted:
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

Reading this thread with the comments about high/low scoring, bone jarring hits, tactics and the like I just have to make a World of Warcraft analogy.

People who like American Football are like DPS (damage per second) classes in WoW, they like big numbers and lots of damage, they like to kill things, mashing a high damage spell.

People who like Football/Soccer (tbh, I prefer the word soccer and I live in New Zealand but I wouldn't argue about the names) are more like healers, they have to watch everything be more aware, it's not about big numbers, it's about getting it done.

Edit: I just noticed something else, healers in WoW at least are usually far bigger drama queens than other classes which kinda fits with Football ;)
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Guess that's why I play a shaman in EQ, cause they're both. They deal out some impressive punishment, but they're also a healing class.

I am the all! I am the Walrus!

Koo Koo Kechoo!
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

I have a healing speced priest in WoW.

And ahhh, a rogue alt =/
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

I, fortunately, have not gotten sucked into WoW... Now, Oblivion on the other hand...
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Fel wrote:Guess that's why I play a shaman in EQ, cause they're both. They deal out some impressive punishment, but they're also a healing class.

I am the all! I am the Walrus!

Koo Koo Kechoo!
heh, I have a shammy and a Mage in WOW.. :P
tyx2
Novice

Post by tyx2 »

Well hi.
What happened to my post ……?
Yea ok I was just typing and thinking but please
Ok first off I lived in America for 11 years and was born in UK and live here know this whole football thing is not really anything
We will take it on basics the name football implies a foot and a ball well try using your hands in football and see what the ref says less your goalie, yea in American football they use there foot but umm a couple a times a game not really a correct name I think we should call it “wimps rugby” lol no I don’t but its would be funny and my brother really believes that but then again he is a fan of rugby I don’t really want to get into that
It’s strange when you think about it football has been around longer then American football yet we get the second name for our sport????
American football been around a long time but has no other name???
So the question is why
1. Only America plays it so no one else has to think up a name
2. Everyone so scared of getting Americans man that no one says anything?
3. no one really care what sport there going on about as long as they can shout at some coach cause he has no idea what he is doing out there?
Well ok there area load of reasons but as this was my post figured I had to say something
Not even going to say anything about the wow bit ok ok ok I will please wow is a sad game, yea I played it in fact before I quit middle last year I had approx 10 chart at 60 and I could not be bothered, what lets the game down is the team play I am one of them ppl that only want to team sometimes well if I want all the good stuff I need to do it all the time, also they would wait till you finally got your char the way you want it then gimp you, also 7 month to get 10 more lvl’s no thanks im not waiting, anarchy was great so im not adverse to onliners I just don’t want my work to depend on someone else
khyranleander
Initiate

Post by khyranleander »

Right, there's two sports that call themselves "football". Shall we now fight over who earns the right to call themselves "Little Willy" now? :D

Simple names are good for real little kids, like in "kickball" since that explains the gist of that game for them. However, I'd think grown adults might want a touch more sophistication, like in the games of tennis, cricket, chess, polo, golf, hockey, rugby, poker, et al. Maybe not all sophisticated games, but they do have popular names that actually used some imagination. Same problem holds for baseball, basketball, racquetball...

But then, guess I'm not the best person to judge on these things. Aside from when local teams are nearing their playoffs, I generally prefer watching sports played by women that make them jump and jiggle. :wink:
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

khyranleander wrote:Right, there's two sports that call themselves "football". Shall we now fight over who earns the right to call themselves "Little Willy" now? :D
Four, actually.

1. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_% ... >Soccer</a> ("futbol" as the english say it)
2. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_league">Rugby</a> (aka "Real footy, mate")
3. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian ... ll">Aussie Rules</a> (aka "Aerial Ping-Pong")
4. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_F ... ">American Football</a>
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Look at all the pretty flowers...what is the circumference of a moose?...I need a drink...huh, that squirrel's weird...oops...my shoes untied...dog ate the cat...roast in the oven...I like cheese...maybe I should get a new car...how many ninjas does it take to screw in a lightbulb?...why did the Wikuni cross the road?...Dubya needs to leave the planet...I like cheese...
khyranleander
Initiate

Post by khyranleander »

Ah, yes sir. Message encoded into seeming blather received and understood. Will comply.

Fifty rabbits, a pond and a chibi Wikuna trading card?
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

No, no, no.... ROAST in the oven... not toast... sheesh... :roll:
dadrago
Novice

Post by dadrago »

first off, ROFL.

good one fifer.

laterz,