question for fel

Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: question for fel

Post by Mizriath »

Nah, the battle or the war could be won but the good guy can die. It is a bit too much for the good guys to be kinda super heroes, win the war and the bad guys all crumpled up.
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Mark_Reed
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mark_Reed »

Expect? No.

But I'd be *reeeeally* dissapointed if they didn't. I'm chronic depressive. I read stories to escape my real life. I don't *need* bad endings. So I try to avoid stories that look to lean that way at first glance.

But do I expect all the stories I read to end up happy? Nope. And sometimes I come across a tragedy that's so well written that I'll accept the depressive episode. Zen's "The Bitter End" comes immediately to mind, though only Ranma 1/2 fanfic readers will recognize it.
Mark_Reed
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mark_Reed »

Oh. Regarding Wheel of Time.

I tried reading the first book of the series. I couldn't even get through the first chapter, so I gave it up.

Does it start extremely slow, and then pick up later in the book? Because if I'm going to choke down that much text I want a nice big reward for it at some point. Thoughts?
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Mark_Reed wrote:Does it start extremely slow, and then pick up later in the book? Because if I'm going to choke down that much text I want a nice big reward for it at some point. Thoughts?
From memory it starts of fairly slow, strolls through a few books, and then starts paddling backwards in the latest two.
mbeau
Sorcerer

Post by mbeau »

Mark_Reed wrote:Oh. Regarding Wheel of Time.

I tried reading the first book of the series. I couldn't even get through the first chapter, so I gave it up.

Does it start extremely slow, and then pick up later in the book? Because if I'm going to choke down that much text I want a nice big reward for it at some point. Thoughts?
The Wheel of Time is the result of a writer who (A)likes to see his words on paper and (B)likes lots of plots going on at once, combined with an editor who doesn't have the guts to tell him to trim his books.

It is pretty much what Spec said. It starts out slow, builds momentum as you get to the middle few books, and then starts to slow down again.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

mbeau wrote:combined with an editor who doesn't have the guts to tell him to trim his books
That, and every time we hear that Jordan is about to release a new book - stocks in paper and printing companies shoot through the roof.