Subjugation, chapter 17 - Spoilers

Spec8472
Weavespinner

Re: Subjugation, chapter 17 - Spoilers

Post by Spec8472 »

Sangoma wrote:Is there a spoiler somewhere that tells us exactly who gave it to him?
In Chapter 8/9 (I think) Kumi says it was Imperial R&D that dropped him the food, exomech, and their rep handing him the key.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

One thing that hit me was the fact that the gestalt is new, never used before and over a thousand years old. Wouldn't that computer power be pretty low comparing to modern computers? Could it be upgraded?
Or is it as it was stated, that no real progress has been made since the destruction?
And also, what would the difference with a used gestalt be? Just a bit of info in the memory? Perhaps, important information? Like Sora’s gestalt?
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
lagomilo
Sorcerer

Post by lagomilo »

In the last chapter, Jason noticed that the paintings of the Kariannes on Earth did not have the gestalts on the heads? Since there bonded to a particular owner how did they get them off. Could a further improvement been made so that the Gestalt was fully embedded in the users skull?

Lago
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

"I applied to Merrane for asylum, and they’re looking it over. I’m a commoner caught up in a spat between two nobles"

was re-reading it, who are the 2 Nobles? Trilliane and who else? No one else knows Jason is a Noble...
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

lagomilo wrote:In the last chapter, Jason noticed that the paintings of the Kariannes on Earth did not have the gestalts on the heads? Since there bonded to a particular owner how did they get them off. Could a further improvement been made so that the Gestalt was fully embedded in the users skull?

Lago
I'm assuming it can be removed, Fel had said they destroyed all Feay Tech to make it harder for them to be found, I'd assume they'd Destroy the Gestalt too.
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

Hearly wrote:was re-reading it, who are the 2 Nobles? Trilliane and who else? No one else knows Jason is a Noble...
My guess is it means Trilliane and Marrene, being the ruling noble house Marrene is still a noble house and the squable is between the government of the Empress and Trilliane, which is still Trilliane and Marrene.

And I don't think they destroyed the gestalt on Earth, I think they didn't wear them because they didn't need them (no thelepathic machinery there) and my guess is Myleena will find her gestalt on Earth... :P
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

I don't think you could were a used gestalt. Or if you could, it would be dangerous to find one, and the just put it on. Remember that Jason had to have it bond and mold itself to fit into his mind. A used gestalt would be molded to fit somebody elses mind, which could be quite diffrent from your own. So while it is probably possibele to use a used gestalt, it would take some time doing a incredibly deep formatting of every peice of data concerning things like the shape of the mind etc.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Doubtful, more likely it would detect the difference of minds and initiate another imprinting process to adapt to the new mind. I doubt that the gestalts were for one person only, and then trash. That would be wasteful, plus extra time needed to download everything again.
More likely would be that the information (not software and such) would be inaccessible to the new mind, or simply wiped during the imprinting process.
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

O_O

As an excited Mr Clarkeson once said in the back seat of an F-15 as it climbed to 5000ft in about four seconds,

"Oh oh oh ****** all bloody mighty!"

Now I need to read.
Quindo Ma
Sorcerer

Post by Quindo Ma »

Hearly wrote:"I applied to Merrane for asylum, and they’re looking it over. I’m a commoner caught up in a spat between two nobles"

was re-reading it, who are the 2 Nobles? Trilliane and who else? No one else knows Jason is a Noble...
Jason is considered the other "noble" in this little twist.
It's not because anyone knows he's Karinne, but more the fact how he challenged Trilliane, following all the Noble Traditions.
Wingsolution
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wingsolution »

Quindo Ma wrote:
Hearly wrote:"I applied to Merrane for asylum, and they’re looking it over. I’m a commoner caught up in a spat between two nobles"

Jason is considered the other "noble" in this little twist.
It's not because anyone knows he's Karinne, but more the fact how he challenged Trilliane, following all the Noble Traditions.
How do you know that the two nobles weren't both trilliane?
After all Kumi is the noble she serves, and the head of the familiy is most likely a noble...
bored and lazy... it's more fun to talk on gaia...
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

I don't think so. I think it's the spat that Trillane is having with the Empress over custody of Jason. Since his little war is considered a House problem, not a conflict between noble houses, the Imperials don't really care. The only reason that they sent in Myleena, if I remember correctly, is that Empress Dahnai wanted Jason in R&D or Black Ops.

Something struck me odd though. When they were talking to the computer on Karis, the computer said, "I detect an attempt to communicate, through your gestalt. Have you forgotten the art of communion? Speak aloud your answer if you have." That got me to thinking: Had Karinne managed to do the trick that the Kimdori do? Commune with each other telepathically to pass knowledge? Just an idea.
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

Oh, I thought it was just using the gestalt as a sort of encryption to communicate with machines and Jason was trying to use conventional telepathy with the computer, but I like your version better. :lol:

Fel, could you shed some light on the cybernetic eye thing too.
Astardis
Initiate

Post by Astardis »

Weresmilodon wrote:One thing that hit me was the fact that the gestalt is new, never used before and over a thousand years old. Wouldn't that computer power be pretty low comparing to modern computers? Could it be upgraded?
Or is it as it was stated, that no real progress has been made since the destruction?
And also, what would the difference with a used gestalt be? Just a bit of info in the memory? Perhaps, important information? Like Sora’s gestalt?
I asked myself the same. The gestalt's telepathic interface is new but the computer can't be better as current models. On the other hand, what Fel told us so far, the gestalt is basically only an information storage and an interface between sentient beings via telepathy and other computer networks. I guess even an over 1000 year old faey computer should be quite good enough to do those tasks.

Since the telepathic interface and amplifier were never discovered outside the house of Karinne, no one is able to have an upgraded version.

In additon, does anyone find it strange too, that Yana could hear the gestalt on it's imprinting process on Jason? So, is she another Karinne child or just naturally developed enough?
In Chapter 17 Fel wrote:“Demir’s sword!” Yana gasped in shock, putting her hands to her head, as Myleena visibly paled.
Astardis
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Well, not really. Remember, the gestalt also boosts the user's natural sending ability. As it imprinted, it basically made Jason's sending go haywire, and cause him to send erratically and constantly, with an extreme amount of power...that's why Yana and the rest could hear it...