Safari Vs. Firefox.

Hearly
Speed Racer!

Safari Vs. Firefox.

Post by Hearly »

Anyone use Safari on the PC? I currently use Firefox, wondering how it matches up to it.

(edited: added on the PC)
Last edited by Hearly on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Re: Safari Vs. Firefox.

Post by Fiferguy »

I've used both, and I like Firefox more. I just like the feel of the interface better, and it's more consistent when I do cross platform stuff.
miraborn
Da'Shar

Post by miraborn »

As an IT guy, I have had to deal with browser compatibility and have to say that Firefox tends to be better in that area than Safari. Unfortunately, a lot of web-based business tools require IE and ActiveX support, though Firefox has gotten better at supporting most of that, though it still can't do ActiveX. With the FF3Beta coming out, we'll see if it gets better.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

miraborn wrote:As an IT guy, I have had to deal with browser compatibility and have to say that Firefox tends to be better in that area than Safari. Unfortunately, a lot of web-based business tools require IE and ActiveX support, though Firefox has gotten better at supporting most of that, though it still can't do ActiveX. With the FF3Beta coming out, we'll see if it gets better.
Fortunately or unfortunately, there isn't a IE for Macs any more. They quit supporting it for some reason (money, probably). But most sites that I've been to that say they require IE to run I haven't had any problems running Firefox with. I rarely if ever use Safari. :twisted:
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Fifer, I wasn't looking at Safari for the Mac, They just released a version of it for the PC, that is what I was wondering about on the PC is Safari better than firefox.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Hearly wrote:Fifer, I wasn't looking at Safari for the Mac, They just released a version of it for the PC, that is what I was wondering about on the PC is Safari better than firefox.
Ah, I wasn't aware that Safari was on PC now. I'd still say Firefox though. :wink:
storyreader2005
Sorcerer

Post by storyreader2005 »

AFAIK if Apple didn't have a "gold" release of Safari for PC then they've at least had a "beta" release out for a while now.

And IMO FireFox should never have ActiveX support. It might enable some "nice" features, but as far as I'm concerned it's one gigantic security hole that malware tries to exploit. Either through an already installed control (facebook/myspace/yahoo image control) or the ActiveX API itself (stealth/mouse-over installation by just visiting the page or moving the mouse over an ad).

FireFox + Adblock Plus + NoScript = the win!
kabalman2000
Sorcerer

Post by kabalman2000 »

storyreader2005 wrote:FireFox + Adblock Plus + NoScript = the win!
Agreed. Though you also need to turn off a bunch of stuff in the options as well as in flash, quicktime, and acrobat -- they all keep adding things like scripting and auto-download of foreign code that opens security holes. All for your convenience mind you.

I also recall reading some not good stuff regarding Safari over on slashdot (maybe it was geekpress, but I think slashdot). Probably withing the last month or two as that's all my addled brain is good for on stuff I'm not personally involved with.

Oh, here's a pet peeve (keep in mind I browse with javascript off). Have you ever noticed that not a single ad ever comes up with the message "Flash version x is required to view this ad, click here to install", yet almost every web page that cripples functionality by using flash also assumes you'll have javascript turned on so they can check for flash? Yet almost all of them work just fine if you find the swf and play it directly. Usually they work better because you can control the screen size rather than letting them dictate an absurdly small window.