Earth Bond Chap 13 Discussion...

Discussions all around the Earth Bond/Kell the dragon story.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Earth Bond Chap 13 Discussion...

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Chapter 13 wrote: “Well…that’s that,” Hirrag grunted as they all looked at the clear crystal, laying dark on the platform. Being the largest single living dragon on the island, he dwarfed the others, especially the chromatics. “How long do we have, sage?”
“Three days, fifteen hours,” one of the chromatics replied.
“We will return to our study of the problem after a short rest,” the council chromatic declared. “Though time is short, we do poor work when exhausted. Let us all adjourn until dawn and let a few hours of rest refocus our concentration and allow us to ponder what we have learned. Is there objection?”
“I think it’s a good idea,” Hinado stated. “Everyone could use a few hours of sleep. Maybe the rest will bring with it a revelation.”
This bodes poorly for the dragon population. Not a single Dragon even suggested dropped the cloak early so they could fight while they still have their magic left. Not that it has to end that way, but given how bone headed all sides are being, they may get what they want. Except the dragons are a bronze age civilisation with magic; and humans have just graduated from the 20th Centuary School of Mechanised Combat. Gaia is a swing vote, but has been asleep at the wheel for the past few thousand years, and has (aparently) already intervened. I can't see her helping a second time this mellenium.

And I must say I am really looking forwards to finding out exactly what's in that book First will be hunting for. For the record, I maintain my bet on the small cube of blinking lights.
I is an certified nut
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: Earth Bond Chap 13 Discussion...

Post by Lochar »

Remember, the Chinese are screaming to get access to the dragons, and likely never bought into the shit from Rome about the dragons being the beast.

Unlikely allies.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

Personally I'm interested in the statement from the book First of the class was reading.

Specifically the part about magic helping to raise stuff in Rome. Now I doubt Rome was unique.

What are the effects of the magic fading? Some Ancient monuments getting noticeably MORE aged?

People cold take this as a preemptive strike by the dragon's. "You brought one of our cities down!"
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

IN the Ancient World, Dragons were scholars that visited the various libraries. So I wonder if they shared these texts or made their own copies. Imagine it books lost from the world, treasures of the famed ancient libraries.
I bet before the dragons retreated fully, they visited these schools and libraries and acquired as many texts as possible. So would be the historical opportunity of a millennium right there. As well as that, I believe that Dragons would act to preserve Libraries at least the books.
Here is a list of places, I quickly found on wiki.
[quote][b]Syria, Iraq, Iran
The archives and texts at Ebla, ca. 2500 to the destruction of the city ca. 2250 BC, constitute the oldest organized library yet discovered: see Ebla tablets.
The libraries of Ugarit (in modern Syria), c. 1200 BC, include diplomatic archives, literary works and the earliest privately-owned libraries yet recovered.
The Library of Ashurbanipal (established 668-627 BC), in Nineveh (near modern Mosul, Iraq), long considered to be the first systematically collected library, was rediscovered in the 19th century. While the library had been destroyed, many fragments of the ancient cuneiform tablets survived, and have been reconstructed. Large portions of the Epic of Gilgamesh were among the many finds.[1][2][3]
Mari Tablets
Tell Leilan archive
The Academy of Gundishapur in western Iran, established during the Persian Sassanid Empire in the 3rd through 6th centuries AD.
The House of Wisdom, an Abbasid-era library and Arabic translation institute in Baghdad, Iraq. 8th century AD–1258.
Indian subcontinent
The great seats of learning in the ancient Indian subcontinent, namely Takshasila (6th to 5th century BC in modern day Pakistan), Nalanda (found on 427 BC and considered "one of the first great universities in recorded history."[4]), Vikramshila (8th century AD), Kanchipuram and other universities, also maintained vast libraries of palm leaf manuscripts on various subjects, ranging from theology to astronomy. In 1193, the Nalanda University complex was sacked by Turkic Muslim invaders under Bakhtiyar Khilji; this event is seen as a milestone in the decline of Buddhism in India.
Africa
The Library of Alexandria, Egypt, fl. 3rd century BC (c. 295 BC). The date of its destruction is uncertain, but it supposedly housed one of the largest collections in the classical world.[5]
Greece and Rome
The Library of Pergamum at Pergamum (in what is now Turkey), also in the 3rd century BC, the Attalid kings formed the second best Hellenistic library after Alexandria, founded in emulation of the Ptolemies. When the Ptolemies stopped exporting papyrus, partly because of competitors and partly because of shortages, the Pergamenes invented a new substance to use in codices, called pergamum or parchment after the city. This was made of fine calfskin, a predecessor of vellum and paper.
Libraries of the Forum, consisted of separate libraries founded in the time of Augustus near the Roman Forum that contained both Greek and Latin texts, separately housed, as was the conventional practice. There were libraries in the Porticus Octaviae near the Theatre of Marcellus, in the temple of Apollo Palatinus, and in the Bibliotheca Ulpiana in the Forum of Trajan.
Private libraries of Ancient Rome were also considerable: Roman aristocracy saw the library as a point of prestige and many of these were transferred to the monasteries of the medieval years.
The Villa of the Papyri, in Herculaneum, Italy is the only library known to have survived from classical antiquity. This villa's large private collection may have once belonged to Julius Caesar's father-in-law, Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus in the 1st century BC. Buried by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius that destroyed the town in 79 AD, it was rediscovered in 1752, around 1800 carbonized scrolls were found in the villa's top story. Using modern techniques such as multi-spectral imaging, previously illegible or invisible sections on scrolls that have been unrolled are now being deciphered. It is possible that more scrolls remain to be found in the lower, unexcavated levels of the villa.
The Theological Library of Caesarea Maritima, a late 3rd century AD establishment located in present-day Israel, was a great early Christian library. Through Origen of Alexandria and the scholarly priest Pamphilus of Caesarea, the school won a reputation for having the most extensive ecclesiastical library of the time, containing more than 30,000 manuscripts: Gregory of Nazianzus, Basil the Great, Jerome and others came to study there.
The Imperial Library of Constantinople, founded in 330 AD, was largely destroyed or burned by crusaders during the Fourth Crusade.
Library of Celsus was a library of antiquity located in the ancient city of Ephesus, western Anatolia.[/b][/quote]

The CD are clearly hiding stuff, but while they are, they have and keep more than nine public Libraries, that doesnt count the numerous private studies there must be. SO while they are hiding, I really cant see them simply destroying books. Sure they allowed the farms, the department, the factories and the power plant to be destroyed, but they never saw any true value in such things. CD value knowledge and magic above all else. If they did destroyed the physical form of the information in its original form, they would have kept a secret copy just in case. So say a crystal that holds the contents of redacted books etched on its interior. I always, liked the idea of a secret Library, but hey not every one's cup of tea. THe council CD was the grandson of the one that founded the Island, he and the elders keep things hidden even from sages, so they could have a library hidden away.

I wonder if spike fall out due to being charged with magic, not age. What would ED use a spike for, art or toys? Say his little siblings are pretending to do magic when, it actually works.

If the lack of magic is due to the ED being underground, then if discovered by 1st, and then revealed, would the other races force the CD to swear an oath to Gaia, or a magically binding oath, to allow equality to return to the dragons.

With modern tech and WD magic, could the swamp be drained and Atlantis live again?

Say the Dragons get magic and establish a formal embassy? They get to make embassies in the major areas. Using scion, they would be major traveling power. They could start a bank that would be the most secure in the world as no human can reach the island unaided, and would face dragon scrutiny while on the island. Scion are anchored permanently on one side by the tail spike, while the destination can be altered but takes time and effort. SAy they link five of the busiest and biggest airports in the world, it would reduce the number of long haul flight, so capable of making a fortune and being great for the enviroment.
WOuld Scion creation be easier if they used 2 lesser ED spikes to act as anchors? So link them where ever they are.

Why does the USA not let ambassadors meet with the dragons themselves to be told to bog off. WIll the ED prepare for the WArds of the Island failing by using the internet to contact the UN and get themselves officially recognised?
.S.A.M.K.M
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Lochar wrote:Remember, the Chinese are screaming to get access to the dragons, and likely never bought into the shit from Rome about the dragons being the beast.
Unlikely allies.
No one does any more. Hell, the Holy See might not buy that shit any more! :shock: Modern popes tend to be religious conservative jerks, but they tend to prefer bad-mouthing condoms and gay people and women over burning witches and hunting 'demons'.

I'm going to assume the Sky Dragons aren't going to know, or care, about the difference between a Chinese or American warship. How will the Chinese feel if some of their sailors get struck by lightening? :roll:

And don't forget the lesser nations. If America conducts unschedualled 'exercises' in the Pacific, China will usually send a ship to keep an eye on them, and Japan will send a ship to keep an eye on them, and Russia to keep an eye on them, and then the Australians because it looks like eveyone else is having such a nice BBQ. And if anyone guesses the reason the American Navy is acting somewhat oddly, then you'll get all the other usual suspects turning up. Won't the Dragons just be thrilled that they're so popular...
I is an certified nut
Seastallion
Katzh-dashi

Post by Seastallion »

Heh, I've met people in real life who believe dragons are real. Although, I gotta admit that show they did on dragon biology if they really did exist was quite believable. The world is a strange place, and I guess I wouldn't be too shocked if it turned out there really was some sort of dragon creatures hanging out in the fringes of the human occupied territories. Maybe the Loch Ness, and it's cousins are all Water Dragons..! :-D
Check out my blog at... http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

....Oh god. I didn't even think of that. If the Loch Ness IS a water dragon....

or even if its not. Can you imagine the well frivolous lawsuits or demands for apologies by people called 'crazy' by normal society?

or crazy old McGee "I TOLDA Ya DRAGONS came and wrecked me car!"
firedrake3
Katzh-dashi

Post by firedrake3 »

Did ANYONE seen Fel in person.
Because I'm starting to think he's a dragon probably with a hider amulet, maybe a Fluffy.
He is EVILLLL afterall. :twisted:
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Just a thought... But America has done quite a lot for the Eaeth Dragons, and hasn't raised any questions about technology and ID theft. (Oh, but all the other cool kids were doing it, doesn't really cut it.) Isn't it about time the US asked for something in return? Say, some spare dragon body parts. Like tail spikes. (What did you think I meant?!) The EDs have plenty to spare and, What was that? You have a clear one too? Well, why not. We'll have a look.

What's worse for a chromatic than going cap in hand to an Earth Dragon? :roll: Going cap in hand to a human. :P And then learning the precious shank has been cut into tiny pieces to investigate it's optical properties. :twisted:
I is an certified nut
schunn99
Initiate

Post by schunn99 »

Fel is evil, he spoiled us with these quick chapter updates, and now the longer wait is making me going through chapter withdrawal. Withdrawal I tell you . Probably not.Probably not.[/Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!
firedrake3
Katzh-dashi

Post by firedrake3 »

Yes. Yes. Is it done Yet Probably not.
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

I warned you guys the next one wouldn't be so fast.

I have a whole lot of yard.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

Fel wrote:I warned you guys the next one wouldn't be so fast.

I have a whole lot of yard.
what is the size of your yard ?
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

It takes me a grand total of about 7 hours to mow.

That give you an idea?
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

not really. no.
mowing time depends on the tools you use.
ah mechanical roller mower will take care of relevantly big lawn in a city or near city house (in 7 hours).
an ridden mower can take care of few hectare sized lawn.
so just time estimate is insufficient to estimate size by.