About the Firestaff

Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

About the Firestaff

Post by Lochar »

Looking back over the story, I'm wondering when the Firestaff was created.  I'm guessing it was the Elves that did it, but it must have been 15,000 years ago right?  Since it requires the conjecture to work, I figured that it required that amount of power to create it.  Since Val used it 5,000 years ago, and 10,000 years ago they had a huge scare and it was almost used.

Also, as a question to Fel.  Since the Firestaff is still in Sennadar, is it trying to draw people to it since it isn't in the elsewhere of Tarrin's locket?  Or are the voices muted on it.  I had an idea that if it was created 15,000 years ago, then when Val used it, he sort of corrupted it and it started to draw people in with promises of power.  If that's the case, then Tarrin's use of it for the side of good might have evened things out.

Comments?
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Hallmist
Sorcerer

Re: About the Firestaff

Post by Hallmist »

Was the firestaff created by a sentient race?  I kinda thought that it was a reminant of the creation of the dimension (of sennadar) by the God of Gods.  

So, from what I remember, the God of Gods (GG from here in) created the entire dimensional reality.  And Sennadar's dimension is close to the center of the overall dimensional reality, granting it extreme magical power.  Hense the existance of the weave, and the power of all the other orders of magic.  Perhaps this pervading magical essance created the Firestaff when the GG created the dimension.

I think it had to be around before Aise created the substance of the universe, otherwise it would be part of her creation, and therefore would be subject to her control.  And if she could control it, I would think that she would wink it out of existance if she could (considering how much trouble it has caused).

Of course, this is all BS until Fel takes notice and tells us what the truth is.
Scientists dream it up.
Engineers make it work.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Hey, I BS good.  Anyways, I remember reading somewhere that the Firestaff was created by a race long since forgotten, with the echo of creation in it.  Niami told Tarrin the story, but I can't for the life of me remember what book/chapter it's in.

Support my brother.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

*laughs manically* I know the truth of it but you don't muhahaha   ;D
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Grey.  PM. Spill. NOW

Thanks and have a nice day.

Support my brother.
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Post by MommyDoom »

lochar wrote:Grey. PM. Spill. NOW

Thanks and have a nice day.

DON'T YOU DARE!  Lochar, log onto MIRC and get the scoop there.  I hate hate hate spoilers.

MD

Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

He asked for it in a Private Message. I don't mind as long as it stays there. Now, if it was a spoiler, and it spoiled something for the rest of us, then I'd let you borrow the Spoon of Doom Mark III...
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
Wildcat
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wildcat »

I'm fine with figuring it out in due time, but will it ever show up in the books? If not, then please, by all means pm me as well, because I'm very curious.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Grey knows a lot of spoilers. If he's refusing to tell, it's most likely a spoiler, and that means that it will probably show up sooner or later in some chapter or other.

Of course, he could also just be annoying us...
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

That would be quite like him too.  make up his own spoilers and screw with our minds.

Wait, I'd better not give him any ideas... oh well, too late.

Support my brother.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

Well....I don't know if it will appear in the chapters or not, I'm not sure how Fel would add it. The story behind it is fairly interesting and does go a ways to explain...things.

Put it this way I'll tell you when the books are finished if Fel doesn't :p

(I really should stop stealing Fels job  ;D )

I guess if you really want to know PM me and I'll tell ya.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

lochar wrote:Also, as a question to Fel.  Since the Firestaff is still in Sennadar, is it trying to draw people to it since it isn't in the elsewhere of Tarrin's locket?  Or are the voices muted on it.  I had an idea that if it was created 15,000 years ago, then when Val used it, he sort of corrupted it and it started to draw people in with promises of power.  If that's the case, then Tarrin's use of it for the side of good might have evened things out.

Comments?
If Tarrin only could think out secure (i.e. no eavesdropping) way of talking to trusted person in Sennadar, e.g. to Niami... She is one of the few who know location of the gate to Pyrosia, if that helps.

There are unbreakable ciphers, you know. But they need prior arrangement. And I'm not sure if anyone on Sennadar know what coding is... wait, wait, Wikuni merchants and spies should know secure way of passing messages.

But now it is moot point, as Tarrin cannot talk with Niami thru Weave (maybe Dolanna can?), and I don't think that Miranda can securely talk with her Goddess (Kitali?)... or maybe she can? Avatar to Goddes talk, special language, personal code (i.e. talking based on personal associations), merchant cipher...
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Hallmist
Sorcerer

Post by Hallmist »

Grey,
I think that if Fel wanted to include some esoteric information that didnt fit in anywhere else, he could do it in a Prologue.  I think thats where we found out about the Blood War.

And since there's only one left, it makes me anticipate the next chapters (and the next book) even more.  
Scientists dream it up.
Engineers make it work.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

shadowhawk wrote:There are unbreakable ciphers, you know. But they need prior arrangement.

I presume you're talking about one-time-pads of some sort?  

From my understanding, these are only as secure as your pad generator, and even then - given enough data, computing power (not just as in digital computers, but also people/mechanics/whatever churning through the possibilities), and observation of the effects of these messages - you should be able to begin to decypher them.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

spec8472 wrote: > There are unbreakable ciphers, you know. But they need prior arrangement.

I presume you're talking about one-time-pads of some sort?  

From my understanding, these are only as secure as your pad generator, and even then - given enough data, computing power (not just as in digital computers, but also people/mechanics/whatever churning through the possibilities), and observation of the effects of these messages - you should be able to begin to decypher them.
No, I'm talking about Verdano (?) cipher. The one where the random key is the length of the message, and you encode the message by XORing key and message. But both parties have to have the key, and no one else. And the key should be used only once.

The commonly used DES/DES3 ciphers if I remember correctly are somewhat of that sort, with key of fixed width and an algorithm to make coding blocks depend on the previous blocks, so the message cannot be decoded in part.

With magic you could make self-decomposing no-copy message, so there would be no problem that breaking the code is only much, much more difficult than decoding the message.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")