Not sure if this has been asked before

Feanuonn
Initiate

Not sure if this has been asked before

Post by Feanuonn »

And I just don't feel like reading EVERY post to find out...so...

Since Tarrin seems to have granted himself a priest spell when he prayed a spell and felt it granted through himself, does that mean that if people started worshiping him he could become more powerful (or an actual Lessor god)? Next question would be...how many followers would he need before he would be concidered a god? He already has people who think he is pretty spiffy already.....can't be too far a jump to them being the worshiper half of the god/worshiper equation.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Re: Not sure if this has been asked before

Post by Weresmilodon »

He would never become a God. He gave up his godhood, and became a Demigod instead. He can never become a God again (unless he uses the Firestaff in 5000 years again...). He might be able to have worshippers, and grant priest spells to them, but that's up for Fel, and the occasionally discussion here on the board.
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

The question is if Tarrin's divine powers (as the Demigod) grows like the powers of Lessor Gods with the number of people worshipping him? (Actually if I remember correctly the powers of Elder Gods also grows with the number of worshippers).

I'm not telling that his powers are to small. Actually Tarrin's powers are so strong that it is hard to devise a situation where he would be in danger. And how to make exciting plot with conditions like those ;) ;) ;)

BTW. could you please use telling subjects? For example I think that the subject of this topic/thread should be "Tarrin's worshippers" or something like that, with the question mark icon...
Last edited by Shadowhawk on Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Feanuonn
Initiate

Post by Feanuonn »

Sorry, I don't usually write on message boards and I definately rarely start topics... so not sure of proper etiquette on this sort of thing.
And you're right, I was thinking more in terms of his divine powers getting stronger with followers. Don't forget that he is a "demi-god" at home....but it has already been mentioned that a Sorcerer in any other plane might be concidered a god....not too far a stretch to see him as a possible equal to a lessor in some other plane. Plus, I keep thinking back to his "granting" himself a priest spell. If he can "grant" spells, then he can have priests.....and if he can have priests then he might have some of the benefits of having worshipers.
It's just a thought......
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

Sorry Mike but you're wrong ;)

I asked Fel this question quite awhile back and yes you can become a god even if you're a demi god (infact it would make you more powerful because you're starting at a higher level) and all it takes it 1 true, absolute believer :)
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

Is it really interesting to read about the adventures of superhero, who can do almost everything? Hint, hint  ;)
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

greymist wrote:Sorry Mike but you're wrong ;)

I asked Fel this question quite awhile back and yes you can become a god even if you're a demi god (infact it would make you more powerful because you're starting at a higher level) and all it takes it 1 true, absolute believer :)
Fel said that? Maybe that should be marked as a spoiler then. Fel has a way to get the most improbable and unlikely things to happend... Not that Tarrin would want it. ;) ;D
Blyker
Sorcerer

Post by Blyker »

greymist wrote:Sorry Mike but you're wrong ;)

And Tarrin has his priest:

A magical wave of power swept out from the Demoness and struck Mist, but the anti-magic of the dispelling power was disrupted when it struck the amulet, exploding into motes of visible blue light that surrounded the infuriated Were-cat. Those motes danced around her, moving in her wake as she surged ahead.

Shocked, ShazBaket realized that she was not going to disrupt the amulet. It was divine. The power of a god was protecting the Were-cat, and she could not counter that. And it was clear already that she was no match for this hellion in a physical confrontation.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

blyker wrote:And Tarrin has his priest:

"A magical wave of power swept out from the Demoness and struck Mist, but the anti-magic of the dispelling power was disrupted when it struck the amulet, exploding into motes of visible blue light that surrounded the infuriated Were-cat. Those motes danced around her, moving in her wake as she surged ahead.

Shocked, ShazBaket realized that she was not going to disrupt the amulet. It was divine. The power of a god was protecting the Were-cat, and she could not counter that. And it was clear already that she was no match for this hellion in a physical confrontation."
I'm kind of puzzled about that.
  • First, if I remember correctly Mist's amulet was created by Goddess (Niami), so this might be what protects the amulet from destruction by Demon. On the other hand Tarrin was prepared to destroy his amulet using some kind of dead-man switch via Sorcery during his fight with Val.
  • Second, as far as I remember Tarrin woven only protection from fire to Mist's amulet. Why it protected her from the lightning and "stun bolt" is a mystery to me... And the fire ignored her, not only did her no harm... ???
  • Third, god or demigod is (might be) not large difference to Demon. Divine is divine. Maybe Tarrin subconsiousnely used his divine power when weaving the protection from fire into Mist's amulet. Or maybe the fact that the (demi)god woven the spell/enchantment was enough.
So it is not sure if Mist can be considered as Tarrin priest. Follower probably. Worshipper, might be posible. Priest? I don't think so.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Actually, i think that is the Goddess. I don't think that Tarrin would steal her Amulets (Damn, i forgot the name for them!). As it was an indirect act, it probably bypassed the restriction. Or something like that... Or, it way integreted when it was created by her. She created Tarrin's, and he made copys of them, i think. I remeber that they were identical, down to the point of not beeing able to remove them, so the rest should be there too. (And does this apply to the elsewhere? Anyone know?)

Oh, and if this does not make sense, it's because i'm so tired i can't really think straight. I'm just minutes from bed, i think.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

guardian_mike wrote:She created Tarrin's, and he made copys of them, i think.
No, the Goddess gave shaerams to Mist and Eron personally in their hut, to protect them. I couldn't find the exact quote...
I remeber that they were identical, down to the point of not beeing able to remove them, so the rest should be there too.
But Tarrin's amulet, if I remember correctly,did not protect him from the Demons innate magic abilities, like in fight over Book of Ages and during Battle of Suld.
zedd
Sui'Kun

Post by zedd »

One more little question that has been nagging me:
    If the firestaff could be "lost" in the elsewhere by destroying the amulet, has Tarrin says when confronting Val, why has that not been done as soon as he puts his paws in the Firestaff?
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

zedd wrote: One more little question that has been nagging me:
If the firestaff could be "lost" in the elsewhere by destroying the amulet, has Tarrin says when confronting Val, why has that not been done as soon as he puts his paws in the Firestaff?
Everything, even the Firestaff, has an intrinsic purpose, and the Firestaff has abilities that I've hinted at but never really discussed...part of my evil plot.  ;)

The Firestaff won't allow itself to be destroyed quite that easily.  This might be a bit of a spoiler, but Tarrin doesn't have the Firestaff with him right now, even though it was in the elsewhere when he went through the gate to Pyrosia.  It can quite easily remove itself from the elsewhere and go somewhere else.

The other aspect of it was that the Firestaff never allowed Tarrin to consider the possibility of destroying it until it became a useful bluff against Val, which was a necessity for it to complete its own mission...bestow its power on Tarrin.  Think about it...all that time, he never ONCE considered the possibility of destroying the Firestaff, only of hiding it or protecting it.  In a way, Tarrin was destined to be the next god of the Firestaff...that's why it's acted as it has both before and after he became a god.  It chose him, just as it chose Val.  Its motivations are its own, and why it chooses who it does is both mysterious and perplexing to the gods.  That's one reason why they're so afraid of it.  It made a god out of Val, which was the worst possible choice, then made a god out of Tarrin, who was probably the best.  In another five thousand years, there's no telling who it's going to choose, and what kind of an impact that person may have on the world.

Just as the gods have nudged Tarrin in the past, so has the Firestaff.

As to some of the other points:

--Mist and what protected her from Shaz'Baket:  just keep reading, this explains itself eventually.

--Tarrin's divine power:  yes, it can increase through mortal veneration.  Even though he's only a demigod, he still operates like any other god as far as mortal worship is concerned.  If people worship him, he'll get stronger.  He'd probably kill them first out of pique, but that's the chance you take when you worship someone who doesn't want your adulation.  ;)

And does he already have a Priest?  No.

Can he have one?  Most certainly.  After all, he's already granted Priest magic to himself...and that means he can grant it to another.  All it takes is true belief.  Tarrin believes in himself and his power, so he can grant himself the power to cast Priest spells...as he just found out.  If a mortal professed true faith and spoke the proper words in the language of the gods, then Tarrin would grant that person the power to cast the spell, and do it unconsciously, almost reflexively.

ok, enough spoilers.  It's way late here and I'm tired from doing homework, so night all.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
rick
Sorcerer

Post by rick »

I don`t know about that Fel ,I mean Val being the worst possiable choise for a God .Please, Let me explain before you turn Tarrin lose on me.True Val started the blood war and that was a terrorable thing.But it brought all the Gods Both Elder and Younger to working together so they know the dangers of fighting eachother both to their worshipers and Sennadar,It show the dangers of the open gates and how easy that Demons could enter Sennadar and gain more power there. There by threatening the multi-universe.And while the Blood War did Destroy several races,it is also responciable for the creation of several new races in their place.So I belive there may of been a plan to the Firestaffs choise of both Val and Tarrin.Of course this means the is a guiding mind behind the Firestaff. Aka either it is sentinel or some one else controls it.                And Last but not lease it allerted the gods and mortals to the dangers of the FireStaff itself. Sennadar paid a high price for that knowledge but the price could of been much higher.Inmange if a truly insaine person or god got a hold of the firestaff at the wrong time.
Last edited by rick on Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My mind is a terrable thing to leave empty, It comes up with weird things to fill the empty places.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

If Tarrin his his own Avatar, and recently he granted Priest magic to himself (during the fight with One God), i.e. he is his own Priest, does that mean that also he, beside Miranda, can open the gate to Sennadar? Hmmm ???
Last edited by Shadowhawk on Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.