question for fel

slater
Talent

question for fel

Post by slater »

in reading your story, i found some interesting parallels to Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Main characters insanity, pluralistic relationships, a desert culture bound tightly in honor, a tower where people learn magic, a society that is literally afraid of magic. However I also notice things that are remarkably unique so I am a bit unsure. Hence my asking, did you ever read any of the wheel of time series, and if so did you base any of your writings on it?
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Re: question for fel

Post by Weresmilodon »

As I remember it, Fel started the first book before Jordan published his. I can't remember the exact age, but the Tower of Sorcery is old. There are some similarities, but in my opinion, it's more likely Jordan tried to copy Fel. (Unlikly though. Probably just a coincidence)
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Yep, Fel started before Jordon... besides, Robert Jordan is a pale comparison to the power and strength of Fel's stories. Besides, Jordon went the opposite direction from fel and just kept putting out half shod books to try and make more money, where as Fel puts out incredible chapters and books and we had to fight him to accept payment for. I really see no comparison between the two of them besides the somewhat desert environment and the fact that both characters are young farm boys who eventually have incredible power, but that’s the heart of many a heroic epic and that initial plot line has been used since the ancient greeks. Heck, just look at starwars and tatoine and you might say the same thing... I'm biased, but rightly so when I say Jordon can't hold a candle to Galloway. :)
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
slater
Talent

Post by slater »

see i happen to love WOT, i felt with the exception of book 10, it has been a great series, although jordan repeats the same phrases way too many times in each book. And as i said theres more than just the desert environment, if you read about the aiel, and compare the selani to the aiel, i think there are a great deal of similiarities. Both are highly rigid and rely heavily upon honor. Both only allow traders into their lands. But the main piece to me wasn't the great power bestowed upon farmboys. That to me is just superman origins than anything, its the crux of the main character going insane, while still trying to do the right thing. Rand( the main character in wot) is feared to be insane, highly paranoid and cold. Sound like any other main character? Some of the same characteristics of Tarrin. Theres the idea of polygamy and the main characters reluctance to accept that. Theres the idea of the main character being a farm boy that also happens to be a prince. ( although rand doesn't happen to find this out till the 6th or 7th book, and no one else knows.) I love both series, and while there are a great deal of similiarities theres also a large amount of differences, that make each interesting to me. How Tarrin is constantly able to overcome his problems, and his determination is endless, while rand is constantly depressed over his fate, and in the knowing he's going to die. That said I have a great deal of respect for both authors, and didn't mean any insult.
slater
Talent

Post by slater »

michaelsuave wrote:Yep, Fel started before Jordon... besides, Robert Jordan is a pale comparison to the power and strength of Fel's stories. Besides, Jordon went the opposite direction from fel and just kept putting out half shod books to try and make more money, where as Fel puts out incredible chapters and books and we had to fight him to accept payment for. I really see no comparison between the two of them besides the somewhat desert environment and the fact that both characters are young farm boys who eventually have incredible power, but that’s the heart of many a heroic epic and that initial plot line has been used since the ancient greeks. Heck, just look at starwars and tatoine and you might say the same thing... I'm biased, but rightly so when I say Jordon can't hold a candle to Galloway. :)
ok so when exactly did fel start the series, after doing some checking wot started in 90. book 4 the one regarding the aiel, was printed in 94. anyone have an answer?
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

slater wrote:
michaelsuave wrote:ok so when exactly did fel start the series, after doing some checking wot started in 90. book 4 the one regarding the aiel, was printed in 94. anyone have an answer?
I don't have an exact date - but it was early 80's (83/84 I think). It wasn't published online until the early 90s though, when book 2 or 3 were completed I think (at the request of some people who had read Fel's work).

So, yeah - I'm a relative newcomer, having been introduced somewhere around when the middle of book 5 was being written.
slater
Talent

Post by slater »

ah ok thanks.
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

Well as far as the aiel are concerned it's not Jordans original Idea anyway, and he didn't take it from fel's work. The whole concept is from the Dune novels of Frank Herbert, even the name was some sort of rite of the Fremen if I remember right.
Downdude
Katzh-dashi

Post by Downdude »

slater wrote: ok so when exactly did fel start the series, after doing some checking wot started in 90. book 4 the one regarding the aiel, was printed in 94. anyone have an answer?
According to fel the series started almost twenty years ago... see this thread
Ymarsakar
Novice

Post by Ymarsakar »

Rand was always crippled by his fears and limitations. Fel's characters transcended their limitations. I much prefered the latter over the former. The subject matter may be the same, but everything else is different.
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Yeah, the Farmer/Street Urchin/Low Life to Powerful Figure is kind of a universal trait to a lot of Fantasy novels. I mean, look at it: From Harry Potter, Superman, Spiderman, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, Last of the Dragonlords, the True Night Series, the King Arthur legend in all its incarnations, etc., etc.

LOL... Now that I think about it, both the stories that I'm writing happen to follow the same basic blue print. It's kind of my favorite thing: the little guy overcomes almost insurmountable odds to emerge triumphant. Pretty much, if it follows that sort of game plan, I'll watch it, and maybe even like it. Even horrible movies like the D&D movie they came out with a few years ago... I watched it... and the sequel. :D
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Hey Fifer, I read the story you are writing and I have not really reach the point of where the hero emerges triumphant. So I cannot comment more. :twisted:
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

That's why we call it a "Work In Progress." :wink: :mrgreen: :wink:
Andygal
Sorcerer

Post by Andygal »

I noticed the similarities to WOT also, but I have to say, Fel's characters are much better, the main WOT characters are all pretty much annoying whiny/bitchy/stupid/angst-ridden.
Old signature was in need of replacement, insert clever new signature here.
Journeywoman
Sui'Kun

Post by Journeywoman »

Fiferguy wrote: It's kind of my favorite thing: the little guy overcomes almost insurmountable odds to emerge triumphant. Pretty much, if it follows that sort of game plan, I'll watch it, and maybe even like it.
Honestly I think it's cultrual as well. I find myself watching Chinese movies and they always have a wierd ending. The main character doesn't necessarily 'win' or beat the odds. Take for instance the most recent one I've watched 'Curse of the Golden Flower'.
Spoiler
Show
The main characters loose: one ends up committing sebuku (or the chinese equivilent) and one is doomed to a short life, forced to drink poision everyday.

If this was a English film (or film derived from this culture) it would have a vastly different ending, which by which the 'good guys'/main character(s) would win and the bad guy loses. Now this has got me curious. To all those of different cultural backgrounds: do you expect the 'good guys' to beat the odds and win in a story??
Abandon the search for truth; settle for good fantasy!